Sunday, January 29, 2006

5 1/2 Weeks after Surgery

So, this week has been filled with ups and downs.

On Thursday, at physical therapy, I added new exercises with weights! I did the olyptical machine and it felt great. My walking gait was progressing along quite nicely and at home I was riding my bike and increasing my exercises.

Then.... my incision got a little infection from the inside. I watched it from the beginning of the week and it seemed to get better then worse and back and forth, until Friday afternoon when I went back to my doctor's office to have him look at it. He tested my knee joint and the infection did not get into the joint. He prescribed these horse pills... did I say that I have issues with swallowing pills? .... needless to say, these are the largest pills I have ever had to swallow. They are like the size of an appetizer weiner in a blanket!! Still, coming out of my doctor's office, I was feelilng great. I came home and did my workout, and took the horse pill expecting the infection to disappear right away!

Friday night, my leg started to get tight... like my hamstring muscle was just tightening up and I was loosing my flexibilty that I had worked so hard for. I had a tough time sleeping because I could not get my knee in a comfortable position. The incision was sore and when I laid down on my side, I could not find a good position for my knee.

On Saturday, my leg was still stiff. Now, I do know if this was because of the extra hard workout on the olymptical and weight machines or because of the infection. I did my exercises... but where riding the bike was easy for the last week or so, today it took 10 minutes to loosen up my knee enough to get a smooth circular motion.

Now it is Sunday. and I am on the 3rd day of antibiotics and still waiting for the infection to go away. The incision does look a little better, but it is like watching water boil! I am doing stretching exercises to get my full extension back, and it comes back through the exercises, and then say a half hour later, it is tight again..... It is going to be a day of stretching!!

No comments: