Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Regression.... it's so depressing!!

It is Tuesday and I have been on the antibiotics since Friday. The infection is slowly going away, but I have lost my full extension, and I am not able to bend my knee quite as much as last week.

I went to see my doctor today and he said that I probably caused the infection by putting the vitamin E on the incision before it was scarred over. I used my finger to apply the vitamin E instead of a sterile q-tip. Lesson Learned!!! He said that by putting the vitamin E on using my finger, I transferred that bacteria into the incision and then sealed it in there with the oily vitamin E. He was not too worried about loosing my flexibility or full extension. He said that you will have highs and lows and if you work particularly hard, you could have a set back.

Then, I went to physical therapy, and my physical therapist definately felt that my knee joint was tighter. She said that because of the infection, there could be swelling in the joint and not to worry about it. I continued to work hard at PT and even added the leg press as a new machine. My knee feels good as I am doing the exercises.... while it is all warmed up, but then, when it cools down, it stiffens up.

I have to take the antibiotics through Thursday. Let's hope that by Friday I am back to where I was last Friday (minus the infection!).

No comments: