Friday, February 10, 2006

Seven Weeks Since Surgery

I am now riding the bike for 30 minutes on a regular basis. It feels so good to ride the bike. I am winded after 30 minutes, so hopefully this will build back my stamina.

I have moved on to more challenging exercises at physical therapy. Yesterday, I did the leg press, calf raises, and hamstring exercises with weights. Then, I did little hopping exercises, and marching exercises to work on my walking. I moved on to work on lateral exercises... so I did side stepping... kind of like what basketball players do when they are practicing defense. I did this across a basketball floor a couple of times... that was good.... I got a good quad burn from this. After that, we moved on to balance. I stood on a balance disk with my left foot and threw a ball to a trampoline-like device and had to catch the ball. This was a great exercise for balance and stamina for my leg. Then on to control - the big monster machine makes me work more on control than strength and I did that for both my quads and hamstrings.

I got my leg to bend to 141 degrees.... my target is 150. That is what my right legs is when my heel touches my butt.

Today, when I started to work on my full extension.... I already had it!! That is the first time. I think that is considered a breakthrough!

I am still not comfortable wearing high heels, and I am still on the cusp of walking without a limp.... I can feel that next week will be my big breakthrough. I will let you know as soon as it happens.

No comments: