Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Dec 28, 2005 - One week after surgery

It has been a week since the surgery and I am feeling pretty good. I have the shower thing down and I am walking slowly without the crutches in the house. I do use the crutches when we go out. The swelling has gone down and there really is no knee pain and I am off all medication.

Today, we went out for several hours, and I am now tired. My leg tires easily after walking around for a while.

I wanted to kind of sum up what the first week was like and where I ended up one week later:
  • If you have this surgery, it is essential to have someone take care of you for the first week. I could not have done it without my husband doing every single thing!
  • The second day after the surgery is the worst. Just take the pain medication and hold it together, because it will get better.
  • Bruises started to appear a couple of days after surgery and they hurt more than the knee. Don't worry, it is normal and they should be gone in a couple of weeks. One week later, and mine are starting to go away.
  • The knee brace is a total pain and it is really hard to sleep on my back with the brace on. I only need to wear it for 2 weeks and I am on my own.
  • Doing simple things like going to the bathroom and taking a shower were difficult at first, but have gotten routine again, one week later.
  • I am not using crutches anymore, but my leg gets tired easily.
In essence, I feel pretty good, and it is amazing that in one week I have come so far and made such big improvements. After that second day, I never thought I would start to improve so quickly.

I have not driven yet, but feel like I am ready to drive. I go back to work and start physical therapy next week.

No comments: