Thursday, December 29, 2005

Dec 29, 2005 - Jan 3, 2006: The second week after surgery

So far this week, I have had no swelling and no pain!!!! Yeah!!!

I was actually able to help make dinner and I drove for the first time and actually went out for coffee with friends.

When I walk, with the brace, I am still very careful. So, like, walking with a cup of coffee in hand is not such a good idea, unless I want to wear it. But, I am not as tired as I was a couple of days ago when I walk around.

My friends are scared to talk to me about tennis because they don't want to make me feel bad.... but, actually, I love to talk about tennis... it makes me feel better... so I reassurred them!!!

I don't long for tennis yet, mostly because I can barely walk. But, I am sure in a couple weeks, I am going to be desparate to get back on the court. I had such high hopes this year!!! I was going to start the year playing in Les Grandes Dames National Tournament in Palm Beach Gardens, Florda. I played last year and had so much fun, and met so many nice people. In fact, every year at this time, I map out all of my tournaments that I want to play for the year and get totally siked for the season. I am not sure yet whether I will even play a single tournament this year.... we will have to wait and see. Also, I play USTA league, which doesn't start until April, but usually there is heavy recruiting going on this time of year. My team, the Alley Cats came in 2nd place last year in the league and we are really gunning to win this year. Let's hope that I will be able to contribute a match or two!!!

----------

Okay - 10 days after surgery and I was actually doing laundry, making lunch, walking to the mailbox. I am almost back to my normal routine. Walking is getting easier, thank goodness.

----------

12 days after surgery and I went to the grocery store for a couple of things. This is the first time that I have gone out on my own!!! Walking is routine, and I am so ready to get off the brace.

----------
Still to come this week is my first physical therapy appointment and going back to the office..... Can I wear high heals with this brace? I'll let you know.

----------

Okay, high heels are OUT!! They made my calf muscles contract all the time and it just was not comfortable.

On the subject of going back to the office..... I am exhausted. My first day... and when I came home, all I wanted to do was put my leg up with ice and lie down. I am sure it will get easier.

Oh, and the other thing..... the other day when I went to the grocery store on my own.... it was amazing how many people looked at me gimping around, but would not make eye contact, and hurried to get in front of me so that they would not get stuck behind a gimp..... interesting!

No comments: